About Me

My photo
BASIS Chandler Senior Class of 2016

Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Dr. Coletta's lab is focused under the 3 regions of cell biology dogma (DNA, RNA and Protein). Students in her lab conduct site specific methylation under DNA, Real Time Polymerase Chain Reaction (QRTPCR) under RNA and Western Blotting under Protein. They use the skeletal muscle for most of their research. The lab tries to look at the data for 3 groups: Diabetes, Obesity and Insulin Resistance. Specifically, Lean vs. Obese. 

For homework, she told me to answer basic questions like "What is DNA?", "What is RNA" ,"How do we extract DNA, RNA and protein from a cell?", Describe quantitative real time PCR, and Western Blotting." and "What is DNA Methylation and how can you measure it?"

 

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops I deleted my comment! All I said was:
    My lab does western blotting too, and I'm super scared to do it. The first day I came, nobody told me what to do. They just gave me a protocol and I freaked out because I didn't understand like half the stuff on it. But then someone explained it to me so that was good. So if you do western blots too, we can struggle together. :)
    Also, are you going to do all of those procedures or are you focusing on one?
    By the way I like your blog's layout.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah western blotting seems difficult to do, like I understand the concept, but the procedure seems a little confusing. I'll probably do at least one of each procedure and then focus on a specific one afterwards. Thank you Kinza :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nikita! Glad to see that you are learning new techniques. Western blotting is a long procedure but not very difficult once you have a done it a few times. Please stop by school with the procedure you are using and the images you have obtained. I can help you understand the technique. I used to do these blots on a daily basis during my research days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't done a western blot yet. When I started she just gave me an overview about all the techniques that are used in her lab and which ones she focuses on more. For the past week, I've been doing DNA extractions from blood samples that were obtained from a family in which the mother is type 1 diabetic and the son is pre-diabetic. Once I finish extracting DNA from all of the blood samples, I will then proceed to bisulfite conversions, pcr and probably western blotting. But I haven't done anything like that yet.

      Delete